On 20 June, 2003, the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan signed the Agreement “Support to the Tajikistan National Mine Action Programme” with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) in order to create the Tajik Mine Action Centre (TMAC). This centre is a Governmental structure and is responsible for all mine action related issues in Tajikistan. TMAC is also the executive authority of the Commission on Implementation of International Humanitarian Law (CIIHL) in the country.
TMAC is responsible for:
• Preparation of national plans for mine action including strategic five-year plans, annual work-plans describing all mine action activities, other strategies or similar documents related to the national management or activities of the mine action sector;
• Setting up an efficient co-ordination system for all mine action activities in Tajikistan; to chair co-ordination meetings and encourage active participation of all relevant parties;
• Setting up a planning system for mine action activities in Tajikistan;
• Management of IMSMA database that will record all available information on the threat of landmine/UXOs (suspected and confirmed contaminated areas; socio-economic consequences of landmines; mine incidents; mine accidents, demining incidents and demining accidents and all mine action activities in the country.
• Monitoring and inspection system for mine action activities in Tajikistan and ensure that national and international operators comply with the standards, regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines as well as with the strategy and plan of the Government. TMAC will convene Boards of Enquiry to investigate all Demining Accidents and promulgate the results to the Mine Action community in order that preventative action may be taken and lessons learned widely disseminated.
• Co-ordination of donor community assistance in mine action and mobilizing technical and financial resources for the mine action sector within Tajikistan.
• Review and adoption of mine action projects before implementation; monitoring of the use of resources provided to the operators by the Government and the donor Community.
• Collecting information about mine victims in Tajikistan and provision of assistance to mine victims.
• Monitoring of the use of cleared lands and submission of the report to the CIIHL about the issue.